Three Perish in Afton House Fire
A fire in Afton late Saturday night has left three dead. The Afton and Bainbridge fire departments and state police responded to the house fire in the town of Afton around 11:38 p.m. Saturday night.
Upon arrival at the scene fire personal found the mobile home on Warren Lane engulfed in flames. Firefighters had the blaze under control and extinguished in around 30 minutes.
Further investigation at the scene discovered three persons dead in the bedrooms of the residence. Autopsies determined the cause of the deaths to be from smoke inhalation and carbon monoxide poisoning.
The dead have been identified as 11-year-old Craig A.Gohl; 45-year-old Nathan J. Herbert; and 54-year-old Anna M. Ebert all residents of the dwelling.
The cause was due to smoking materials near the couch. There were no smoke alarms in the residence, according to investigators from the NYS Office of Fire Prevention and Control and the Chenango County Fire Investigation Team.