Students or parents of students whose personal property was damaged or destroyed as a result of the Wednesday fire at SUNY Oneonta's Matteson Hall have several options when filing a claim for reimbursement.

Head to SUNY Oneonta's newly-launched information website for complete details:

If you have your own Renter’s Insurance, filing a claim on that policy may be the simplest, fastest way for you to recover damages to your property.

If your parents carry homeowner’s insurance, that policy may cover your belongings while away at college. A call to their homeowner’s insurance company will answer the question as to whether or not you may file with them and, if so, whether the policy covers replacement value or depreciated value.

The College, as a State agency, does not carry insurance. Students at least 18 years old whose claims for lost and damaged property total $5,000 or less may file a Small Claim against the College. Students who are not yet 18 years old may have their parents file instead. If partial reimbursement is received from one of the other methods above, a Small Claim may be filed to recover any unreimbursed losses or deductibles. Please note that the Small Claim process covers depreciated value rather than replacement value.

If reimbursement from the College is sought for more than $5,000, the only method available is to sue the State University of New York at Oneonta. It is recommended that an attorney be consulted when making these choices. Any claim against the College must be filed within 90 days of the incident (by April 16, 2013 in this instance).