provided

 

The Upper Delaware Scenic and Recreational River has announced that $50,000 in National Park Service (NPS) funds have been secured to update the 1968 National Historic Landmark (NHL) nomination for the Delaware and Hudson Canal.

Bill Merchant, chair of the Delaware and Hudson Transportation Heritage Council (DHTHC), stated, “The D&H Canal was an important transportation network in early America- it provided affordable fuel to New York City, and cheap transportation for resources along its route at the start of the Industrial Revolution, greatly contributing to the development of that city and the United States. Updating its Landmark designation will help bring its stories to a wider audience, assisting the D&H Transportation Heritage Council in fulfilling its mission. All Americans should know all about this important part of our shared heritage."

Constructed in 1828 and fully operational until 1898, the Delaware and Hudson Canal Company moved anthracite coal from the Pennsylvania fields near Carbondale by railroad to Honesdale, where it was then loaded onto canal boats and carried to the Hudson River and down to the New York City markets, where it was used as the main source of power and chief fuel during the Industrial Revolution.