CDC Reminds Carbon Monoxide a Killer When Power Goes Out
Residents impacted by Hurricane Sandy or any future storm that knocks out electricity, are reminded that deadly carbon monoxide can result from the improper use of alternate power sources. Carbon monoxide poisoning is the leading cause of poison-related fatalities in the United States.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, carbon monoxide is responsible for approximately 450 deaths and over 20,000 injuries every year.
Although carbon monoxide poisoning occurs frequently, here are some tips that can help to prevent it from happening to you:
- Never run generators in indoor spaces, such as garages, basements, porches, crawlspaces or sheds, or in partly enclosed spaces such as carports or breezeways.
- Never use a gas range or oven for warmth.
- Never use a charcoal grill or a barbecue grill in your home or garage.
- Never use a stove or fireplace unless it is properly installed and vented. Annually, have it inspected and have oil and gas heat and hot water systems serviced.